Flickr

Tea Pots for Mad Hatter's Tea Party

| Friday, January 30, 2009

Images from my childhood have always played a part in my creative process. One of these is watching steam engine trains pass in front of my grandparents' home, and with other children from the village, trying to make shapes with clay and sand and putting fire in them so we could see smoke coming out from the opening. For me, making a teapot brings back these childhood memories.
I made these tea-pots for a group show , curated by Ms. Bhamini for ICIA Gallery, Kala Ghoda, Mumbai. The show opened on the 26/11 evening.

These are all Stoneware, wood fired at cone 9. The sizes of the tea pots are around H.16 x W.8 inches








1 comments:

John said...

Thank fr sharing the new work Reyaz. It looks great.

License

About Me

I was born in Ranchi, Jharkhand. Went to Varanasi in 1994 to study ceramic design at Banaras Hindu University. My practice deals with forms derived from architecture. From the architecture of the place where I grew up to the architecture I come across while traveling in different parts of the world. My works explore different qualities observed in the rural and urban landscape and manipulate them to create forms which relate to one another. I investigate these forms in an abstract manner and manipulate them extensively, leading to a new form of its own. It is important for the forms to relate to one another, to create an environment, and to establish a relationship and a visible contrast between each other, thus encouraging the viewer to take a closer look and investigate further.